“From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” ).”…..Matthew 27:45-46 NIV
"My God why have you forsaken me!"..Jesus Christ, the Son of God cried out on the cross at Calvary. The pain of separation, of being forsaken! Earlier before the crucifixion, we read of Jesus in physical anguish in an unusual show of raw emotion!…
– “He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.” Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”…Mark 14:33-36 NIV
– …also the "sweating blood" in Luke 22:41-44 NIV
Was this agony only about the impending death and torture [consider that He knew His death was not permanent…Matthew 12:40, 16:21. Also He never uttered a word or whim or cry throughout the torture ordeal until the final cry.."My God my God why have you forsaken me"]. Or was the agony due to the impending separation as evidenced from the cry? Food for thought.
Jesus, was born fully divine; Father, Son and Holy Spirit….Isaiah 9:6, Colossians 1:19, 2:9 and fully human, Son of Man as He called Himself, born of woman….Galatians 4:4, Matthew 1:18-23
He remained sinless, until the cross when He became a curse for us the accursed..Galatians 3:13, 2 Corinthians 5:21, 1 Peter 2:24, Isaiah 53:5 and having remained sinless all His life, and maintained the unity of the Godhead, it was only on the cross where sin caused a separation! Hence the cry "my God my God" because He was bereft of all Deity [Godliness]. He called out to His mother to behold her Son, in His full human[ity] form…..
– “Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, He said to her, “Woman, here is your son,”….John 19:25-26 NIV
Lesson for today? This is what sin does – separates us from the Holy God..
– “Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.”….Isaiah 59:1-2 NIV
– “Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?”…..Habakkuk 1:13 KJV
Every Christian's prayer ought to be; that at the eleventh hour, we will not be gnashing our teeth should we not make it through the narrow door, weeping .."my God my God, why have you forsaken me?"….Luke 13:22-28. Because if God's one and only beloved Son Jesus, was forsaken because of sin [He bore on the cross] how much more you and I? We should not be deceived by sugar-coated doctrine. Yes God loves us just like He loves Jesus, but sin is not optional. God is holy and unrepentant sin has no place in His Holy Presence, BY HIS VERY NATURE! So, separate yourself from sin, seek holiness as the one who has called you is holy. If you love God you must hate sin…Psalm 97:9-10
– “You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.”…Romans 6:18 NIV
Prayer: Heavenly Father we come before you in total reverence. What a privilege to worship you, to be allowed past the curtain through Jesus Christ. Thank you Jesus for your sacrifice by your precious blood, we can come before our Father in the Holy of Holies in full confidence and boldness. Thank you for sending your Holy Spirit, O if we could forever remain obedient to you. Help us and forgive us when we fail to heed instruction. Forgive us LORD when we grieve your Spirit. Have mercy on us Lord. May we live to love you and hate sin, to remain in fellowship with you to eternity. This we pray in Jesus precious name, Amen.
JESUS IS THE CENTRE
GOSPEL TEACHING LIFE